Beetroot, apple & blue cheese salad with walnut cider dressing
• 250g can whole baby beetroot, drained * or a bunch from the garden
• 4 braeburn or pacific rose apples, unpeeled, cut into quarters
• 2 sticks celery
• 2 cups radicchio leaves * or red lettuce leaves
• 1 bunch watercress shoots, roots removed * or rocket/spinach leaves
• 1 green oak lettuce, washed and torn
• 100g blue cheese, crumbled
• ½ cup fresh walnuts, toasted
• 3 Tbsp sliced chives
• 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
• 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
• 4 Tbsp walnut or almond oil
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
Put the mustard into a small bowl and whisk in the vinegar. Pour the oils in slowly and whisk to emulsify the dressing. Season to taste.
Place the drained beetroot on a plate lined with a paper towel, cover with another piece of paper towel and pat to absorb as much juice as you can. Leave beetroot this way while you prepare the other salad ingredients.
Cut the apple quarters into fine slices and place in a large bowl. Cut the celery on an angle into thin slices and add to the apples. Add radicchio, watercress and lettuce leaves. Pour the dressing over the salad mix. Use your hands to toss lightly until the entire salad is coated.
Arrange salad mixture on a large platter. Add the baby beetroot and crumble the blue cheese over the top. Add walnuts and sprinkle with sliced chives to serve.
Ready in: 25 minutes | Cooking time: 20–25 minutes
Photography: Tracey Sunderland
Tip: To cook fresh whole beetroot; Place into a large saucepan, cover with cold water. Do not top and tail or they will bleed. Add ½ tsp salt, bring to the boil and cook for 20–25 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool quickly by running them under cold water in a colander. Use gloves to peel the beetroot – once cooked the skin will slip away off easily.